Sunday, June 20, 2010

Coffeetable Terrariums

As some of you will remember, I have changed the colors in my living room over to green.  I thought a great addition to that would be a group of three terrariums for my coffee table.  I am kicking myself now for not taking pictures along the way but I will try to describe the steps without pretty pictures.

First, I chose a set of three apothecary jars.  I got these on sale at Home Outfitters.  They are a little smaller than regular jars but they serve my purpose well. 

I cleaned the jars with hot water and placed an inch or two of stones in the bottom.  The stones are just ones that I found in the bottom of my magick storage trunk.  I am sure most any pebbles will work. 

Then I went searching for plants.  These can be purchased, of course, but I decided to gather them in a wooded area near my apartment.  I don't know a whole lot about the local plants but I picked out some moss, clover and grasses.  I brought my trowel with me and dug the plants up by the roots, placing them in ziplock bags for transport.

Back at home, I place a couple inches of soil in the bottom of the jars then planted my new plants.  I had to trim the moss and the grasses to make them fit.  I decided to stick with just one plant per jar because mine are small but may attempt a larger terrarium in the future and use different types of plants. 

Finally, when everything was planted, I water them with a small amount of water and placed on the lids.  I have read that the terrariums will be fairly self contained and will only need water when condensation stops forming on the inside. 

Here is the finished product:


And a few close ups:

3 comments:

awitchtrying said...

Wow, those are really cool! What an interesting way to bring nature inside. I think it's great that you used local plants. How fun!

Danni said...

I've always wanted to try these! The jars you picked out are awesome, keep us posted on how they do. :)

K(Banterings of a Basketcase) said...

very pretty. I'd have to be weird and put some happy meal fairy in there. Yours are gorgeous and classy

Post a Comment