Thursday, August 19, 2010

TeacherWitch Buys A Home

The last few weeks have been a whirlwind adventure.  We returned from visiting the future in-laws to a notice that our rent would be increasing AGAIN.  It was set to go up from $915 to $950 plus an extra $15/month for the second parking space.  When speaking to my parents about this, and lamenting that this is close to what we would pay for a mortgage, my incredible, wonderful, loving parents offered to lend us the deposit money for a house.  So we started shopping.  On the first day I saw a beautiful home with cathedral ceilings and an open concept living room/dining room/kitchen.  It was perfect.  BUT, it was the first day out.  So we saw more homes.  Three trips later and it was Friday, we were set to look at more homes and take a second look at the one I already loved.  Lo and behold, the sellers had agreed to drop the price.  They were motivated because they had already purchased another home.  At the end of the day, I didn't want to wait any longer and just five days after we started looking, we made an offer and it was accepted.  This last week has been full of phone calls and contract signing and all the ins and outs of making sure the deal doesn't fall through (there was another couple waiting in the wings if we backed out, EEP!).  So far, all the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed.  Financing is done, Home inspection went great and we have arranged for a lawyer and for home insurance.  NOW, it is down to packing, selling some items that are no longer needed, donating whatever I can't sell and shopping for new furniture for my beautiful new home. 

I apologize in advance for any further absence but my to-do list has tripled in size and school is just over a week away!

6 comments:

Chris Vessey said...

Congratulations! I know it's a bit scary the first time out buying a home - but you'll have your own place, which you can enhance as you see fit. And you'll have a lawn! Yay, lawnmower time. If your lot is approaching 0.5acre or more, and you're not home a lot, you ought to consider a rideon, even a small one. It can reduce a large mowing job (1.5h or more) to 20min, and you can do it when it's stinkin' hot without issue.

Unknown said...

Congrats on the house :) We bough our home 4 years ago after renting for 13 years. We love it here, and the freedom of it being ours is great.

Good luck moving :)

Leanna said...

WOW! Congratulations hon!!!! Enjoy your new home. It's a great feeling to have and own your own home. Think about putting in a garden. It's soooo rewarding to have one.

Judith said...

congrats! I remember how excited I was with my first home! But after 15 moves, 5 renovations, I'm sticking where I am! LOL

CousinLinda said...

I'm so happy for you!

Unknown said...

Hi Phoenix Witch,

I started following you recently but you got busy. When my friends get busy it's usually my policy to send them funny jokes to keep them happy. I hope this makes you happy in your chaotic time. :) Good luck with moving, & congratulations on the new house!
------------------------------------------------
One day two nuns were walking down the street when the looked behind them and noticed that a strange man was following them. They picked up their speed and the man did the same. The nuns began to jog down the street and the man also began to jog - getting closer and closer. In mid stride one nun turned to the other and suggested that they both run as fast as they could in different directions and meet back at the convent. And so they did.

The first nun made it back quickly - huffing and puffing, but safe. Shortly after came her friend. The first nun asked, "Well, what happened? He didn't follow me so he must have gone after you."
"He did," said the second nun, "but he was starting to catch up, so, I stopped."
The first nun was confused, "You stopped? Well what happened?"
"Well," said the second nun, "I turned around and looked at him. And he looked at me."
"And?" asked the second nun.
"I kissed him."
The first nun was shocked, "What did he do!?"
"He kissed me back and dropped his pants."
The first nun was getting excited, "And?"
"So I pulled up my skirt."
By this point the first nun was ecstatic, "AND!? What happened!?"
The second nun looked at her, "Well it's obvious what happened."

"A woman with her skirt up can run twice as fast as a man with his pants down."

Post a Comment